A collection of photos and thoughts over the span of a year to see the beauty of life as it changes each day.

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Day 10: July 31, 2011

Sr High Mission trip: YouthWorks: Nashville, Tennessee.

I'm home!
Phew! What a trip, I love going on road trips but I forgot how tired they make you! Especially when you are the only one who can't sleep on the van (aside from the driver!) But I must admit... I am very glad to be home again.
Nashville was a cool city! Filled, with as I'm sure you could imagine.. tons of country twang! haha But for someone who has never been to Nashville, one of the most shocking things about the city is it's homeless population. And that, along with caring for the elderly were the two biggest focuses of the YouthWorks mission work during the week. Now, for those of you who know me, you may know that I have a fear of old people. So to say that this week was rough.. well, yeah. There was one day in particular in that my friend Sara and I had to assist in a nursing home worship service, and I must say that might have been one of the most difficult things I've ever had to do.  However, the way that day was then turned around is truly amazing. And I think I will save that story for a whole other blog tomorrow.
This YouthWorks trip was different from the ones that our youth group usually goes on because it was focused more on building relationships, instead of things like building houses. I don't want to make it sound like the whole week was awful and that there was absolutely nothing good to be taken away from this trip, because that's not true. Was it the best mission trip ever? No. Did I get pushed out of my comfort zone? Numerous times. Do I regret it? No.
There were other things/problems that came up throughout the week that had to do with the staff there having extremely strict rules, housing problems (like having to sleep on the 3rd and 4th floors but having to use the bathrooms on the 1st floor...?) or quite a few of us getting sick. BUT it's over now, we're home.. back in our own beds. And although throughout the week we were all getting caught up in the frustrations of everything, I hope that we can look past that now and find more of the good that we can take away from this trip.
For example, the people who rode on my van were AWESOME and we had such a great time! Doing anything from reading the 7th Harry Potter book out loud, to discussing who we would eat first if we absolutely had to. Or being able to just get away from home for a week and just be with some of my closest friends and hang out on my last youth mission trip. Although it was rough, we must admit that we will remember it. So I'm glad that I went and I'm thankful for all of the others who went too.

FUMC DENTON YOUTH GROUP,
THANK YOU FOR CHANGING MY LIFE.
I LOVE EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU.
COUNTRY!!!!-twang!

And now, I'm going back to bed.
Goodnight.
:)



No comments:

Post a Comment