A collection of photos and thoughts over the span of a year to see the beauty of life as it changes each day.

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Day 21: August 11, 2011

The kindness of a stranger.

"Wherever there is a human being,
there is an opportunity for a kindness." 
 ~Seneca

"Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around."
 ~Leo Buscaglia

Phew, what a day indeed. Like I said in my "blog" yesterday (sorry again about that) Sara and I spent most of the night making a bunch of videos. And last night when I got home around am  I wasn't feeling tired so I wanted to go back and watch them. Mind you, they were all around 20-25 minutes. And the one where we reviewed our summer was an hour and a half. So I didn't end up going to bed until around 5am. Thus, I didn't wake up until around 1pm this afternoon. I woke up and went into the kitchen and made this freaking awesome sandwich, not to toot my own horn, but seriously this was a epic sandwich. And just as I finished putting everything away and sat down to start eating my phone started ringing and it read "MOTHERSHIP" calling.
Next thing I know I'm putting plastic wrap on my epic sandwich, and walking out the door.. defeated, and hungry. Heading to Staples to pick up my stranded Mothership because her spaceship has a dead battery. Well, I had to first put out a call for jumper cables. Once I got some and got to the store the Mothership assured me that she knew what she was doing.... 2 minutes later I'm on the phone with my brother asking him for help. Finally, we connect the red to red and black to black AND... nothing happens.
Apparently my car is as wimpy as it looks. But luckily the man in the picture above was nice enough to pull up and ask if he could help us out. He assured us that his engine was much stronger and would do the trick, however for about 10 minutes it didn't do anything. It was then that we discovered the problem was in the cables. (I later asked the owners of the cables where they got them from... a garage sale... awesome. haha) Anyway, he messed around with them a bit and then finally, we got the spaceship to start!
We thanked the man, he was seriously SO nice and I know we wouldn't have figured it out, and would have had to have it towed had he not have had to get office supplies today and been kind enough to stop and give us a hand. It's people like him that give you hope that there's still good people out there in the world.
And well, I know that not all of us know how to jump cars. But I just ask that if you ever see someone in this situation. Please just take the time to stop and ask if there is anything you can do to help them. Maybe they need to use a phone, maybe they could use a bottle of water. Be the stranger who offers them a kind hand the next time. Pay it forward. I know I will.
P.S.- I move out in 10 days. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment